Mindfulness-Based Somatic Counseling
with Sam Vittoria, CHP
"Nothing can remain hidden from us once we start to pay attention. Paying attention is exciting, invigorating, fascinating, thrilling. We get to see things we had no idea existed." - Cheri Huber
My journey into personal and spiritual transformation started in the early 90’s. At that time I discovered different wisdom traditions that invited me to look deeply into myself. I was introduced to meditation and experiential psychological and spiritual practices. The combination of mindfulness and psychological healing work was a potent mix. I learned for the first time how being willing to experience difficult emotions, rather than doing everything I could to avoid them, led to an experience of freedom, love, and aliveness that was utterly fulfilling. I discovered that connecting to and directly experiencing any aspect of myself led to greater wisdom, empowerment, and direct self-knowledge. From that time on, this has been a primary focus of my life. This led to finding my calling as a support to others in embodying and living from their greatest potential.
TRAINING AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
My training and professional development includes:
- Interpersonal Neurobiology – Year Long Intensive Training, (72 hours), NTH, with Bonnie Badenoch, 2017.
- Interpersonal Neurobiology – Trauma and the Embodied Brain, (8 hours), Sounds True, with Bonnie Badenoch, 2017.
- Certified Hakomi Practioner, 2016
- Graduate of the Hakomi 2-year Comprehensive Training, (342 hours), The Hakomi Institute of California, 2013. Focus on Hakomi Mindfulness-Centered Somatic Psychotherapy, Attachment Systems, Trauma, and Re-Creation of the Self - Model of Human Systems (R-CS).
- From Trauma to Dharma - A Mindfulness-based Trauma Therapy Training with Manuela Mischke-Reeds, (76 Hours), The Hakomi Institute of California, 2014.
- The Re-Creation of the Self - Model of Human Systems (R-CS), (95 hours), The M.E.T.A. Institute (Mindful Experiential Therapy Approaches), 2013-2015. Teaching Assistant in R-CS, 2016-2017, (57 hours).
- Attachment Systems Training, (58 hours), The M.E.T.A. Institute, 2015.
- Complex Integration of Multiple Brain Systems (CIMBS), (13 hours), CIMBS, 2016. Focus on the Therapeutic Attachment Relationship and fundamental CIMBS therapy approach.
- Foundations of Therapeutic Strategies Training, (15 hours), The M.E.T.A. Institute, 2014.
- The Heart & Art of Hakomi Legacy Teachings: Mastering the Method Therapy Intensive and Advanced Training, (21 hours), 2013.
- Teaching Assistant in the M.E.T.A./Hakomi 2-year Comprehensive Training, (320 hours), The M.E.T.A. Institute, 2013 - 2015.
- Certified Sound, Voice, and Music Healing Practitioner, (200 hours), The California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS), 2009.
- Nonviolent Communication (NVC) with Marshall B. Rosenberg, (65 hours), The Center for Nonviolent Communication, 2007.
- Over 23 years of training and practice in mindfulness, self-inquiry, personal and spiritual growth processes, 1993 - present.
"Sam has changed my life in major ways. I've dubbed his weekly counseling with me “Unconditional Love for 60 minutes” and that’s what he offers and then some! He works at deep levels making room for all the qualities of being human; it feels great to be helped by someone who has total acceptance for all of the complexity life has to offer. His intuitive and skilled listening ability hones in on and helps me refine and realize my goals in the world. So much gratitude, Sam, for all that you have done for me." ~ R.H.
"Sam is an experienced and masterful companion, guide and fellow explorer on your path to discovering more about yourself. Thank you, Sam!!!" ~ SW
“Sam envelopes you in a warm and accepting presence and makes space for the experiential and sudden shifts and turns that happen in your process. I felt my work with him was very dynamic and collaborative and I always came away from my sessions feeling seen, heard and loved unconditionally.” ~ JV
"Sam has an incredibly compassionate and grounded presence as well as a genuine passion for helping others. Every time I meet with him, I feel so welcome, so met, understood, and deep change happens!" ~ L.K.
“What mattered to me the most was the absolute feeling I had that Sam was with me every step of the way in any way that I needed him. Sam is a loving presence that only wants the best for you; he assists you in knowing your true self by skillfully employing kindness, understanding, enthusiasm and compassion.” ~ JE